Microsoft 365 profile update: Add topics to user profiles
We’re adding new features to the profile card in Microsoft 365 and beginning in early August. Users in your organization will be able to add topics directly to their profile card in Microsoft 365 apps and services or through Office Delve.
- Topics are terms that individuals can add to their profile through their profile card or Office Delve.
- Users can add topics to their profile to make it easier for people to learn more about them.
- Topics can be skills, projects, and even hobbies.
- When others search for a term that matches a topic on their profile, their name and profile picture may show up in search results across Microsoft apps.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 82081
- Timing: We will begin rolling this feature out in early August and expect to complete rollout in mid-October 2021.
- Roll-out: tenant level
- Control type: user control / admin control
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization:
Users in your organization will be able to add topics to their profiles by either updating their information in the profile card in Microsoft 365 apps and services or Office Delve.
- Topics added will be available to view for users under “Ask me about” in the Microsoft 365 profile card and under “Skills and expertise” in Office Delve.
Note: If you have a closed term set up for “Responsibilities”, please see below.
What you need to do to prepare:
If you have a closed term set up for “Responsibilities”, also known as topics, please note that the setting of that term set does not apply to topics shown on profile cards in Microsoft 365 apps and services and is limited to Office Delve. Users will be able to add topics on their profile cards in Microsoft 365 apps and services without restriction even where you have a closed term set up for “Responsibilities”.
To disable topics on profile cards in Microsoft 365 apps and services where you have a closed term set up for “Responsibilities”, please contact Microsoft support at LPCTopicsOptOut@microsoft.com with your request and tenant Id. LPCTopicsOptOut
Message ID: MC267952