Microsoft Teams: Share to Teams from Outlook
We are updating the Share to Teams capability in Outlook for Windows, Outlook on the web, and Outlook for Mac preview. This feature is not yet available for Outlook mobile.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap IDs 68909, 70598, and 71265
- Timing: mid-March through late March 2021
- Roll-out: User level
- Control type: user control and admin control
- Action: review and assess
How will this affect your organization
Share to Teams from Outlook enables users to share an email conversation from Outlook, including attachments, to any chat or channel in any Teams client.
When a user is sharing an email from the Outlook desktop client or Outlook on the web, Share to Teams in Outlook will either launch a window in the Teams desktop client if it is installed or open a window within Outlook. Within Teams, recipients will see a preview of the email message which they can open to view the full contents by clicking on the preview.
The Share to Teams experience that opens in a Teams desktop app window will be available for Outlook in the Monthly Channel in March.
- Share to Teams from Outlook creates a copy of the email and any attachments. Copies are stored in the “Email Messages” sub-folder within SharePoint for channels. Copies are stored in the sender’s OneDrive for chats.
- Share to Teams does not support Individual Rights Managed (IRM) and Do Not Forward (DNF) emails.
What you need to do to prepare
Share to Teams leverages an Outlook add-in to drive; it will be installed the first time a user uses the Teams web or desktop client after this capability has rolled out.
You can manage Share to Teams by selectively enabling or disabling this add-in for individual users via PowerShell Cmdlet. Admin documentation will be published soon.
Note: Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 57389 incorrectly identified this capability as launched in March 2020.
Message ID: MC238648