Theme and Fluent icon updates in Teams on the web, Windows and Mac
Updated January 29, 2021: We have updated the post for additional clarity. Thank you for your patience.
We are updating the default and dark theme colors in Teams on web, Windows, and Mac and will also update Fluent icons to align other Microsoft 365 applications.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 68721
- Public Preview: mid-January (previously late-November)
- Standard release: mid-February (previously mid-January)
- Government cloud: end of February (previously mid-February)
- Roll-out: tenant level
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization
When your users access Teams on the web, the default and dark themes will be updated as well as the icons for all themes.
Microsoft uses the Fluent design system to ensure a cohesive and accessible design for all Microsoft products and users. Most changes are subtle, such as:
- Added drop shadows between panels
- Rounded corners for square graphical elements (like buttons)
- Color adjustments to the default and dark themes
What you need to do to prepare
You might want to notify your users about this change.
- Learn more about Microsoft’s Fluent design system.
- See The Future Vision of Microsoft 365 on Medium.
Message ID: MC225329