Changes to Search in Microsoft Stream (Classic)
You are receiving this message because our reporting indicates that (a) one or more users in your organization are using Microsoft Stream and (b) your videos are stored in Microsoft’s North Europe data center.
Starting March 1, 2021, and on an ongoing basis, your users may not be able to view, search, or edit automatically-generated transcripts for videos that have not been viewed in the prior six (6) months or that have not been edited or uploaded by users in the prior six (6) months.
For those videos impacted, video owners will continue to have the ability to regenerate the transcripts.
When this will happen:
Beginning March 01, 2021
How this will affect your organization:
This change only affects automatically-generated transcripts for videos that have not been viewed in the prior six (6) months or that have not been edited or uploaded by users in the prior six (6) months, with the six-month period being calculated on a rolling, ongoing basis.
It applies to both existing and newly created videos.
As an example, if a newly uploaded video with auto-generated transcripts goes unwatched in the six (6) months following its upload, auto-generated transcripts would need to be manually re-added by a video owner following this change. The videos will not be removed.
Please note the following points:
- Transcripts that were edited by users, as well as transcripts and subtitle files uploaded by users, will continue to be available.
- Transcripts will be available for download by video owners via the video edit page for all videos.
- Users will be able to view closed captions for all videos.
- If a video owner wants others to be able to view, search, or edit transcripts for videos which the automatically-generated transcript is impacted, the owner may regenerate a transcript by unchecking and rechecking the “Autogenerate captions” option in the update video settings page. Afterwards, the transcript will be displayed in the player page for viewing, searching, and editing.
What you need to do to prepare:
We suggest you notify your users about this change and update your training and documentation as appropriate.
- You may be interested in moving your organization to use the new Microsoft Stream which stores videos in OneDrive.
- Read more about updates to transcript functionality in Microsoft Stream.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us via a support ticket.
Message ID: MC241595