Creation of Default Notes tab in new standard channels in Teams
As communicated in MC496248 (January ’23) Microsoft Teams users will soon get a “Notes” tab, powered by OneNote, added by default on the tabs bar across the top on creation of new standard channels for note-taking capabilities. Earlier this capability was powered by Wiki, which is set to retire from Teams based on the announcement published in Feb.
This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 101962
When this will happen:
This will start rolling out in late May and expect to complete by late June.
How this will affect your organization:
With this release, users will see a tab called “Notes” which is powered by OneNote, when they create a new standard channel in Teams. We’ll leverage the default OneNote notebook created at a team level for this purpose. When a new standard channel is created within the team, a new section will be created with the same as channel dedicated for notetaking within this channel.
OneNote is the Microsoft 365 app for notetaking that offers that offers:
- Easy collaboration across the team
- View all channel notes in a team in one place organized within a single notebook
- Rich editing with typing, ink annotations, highlighting, file attachments, etc.
- Easy recall & search for channel notes within OneNote on any platform
What you need to do to prepare:
If your organization has not enabled OneNote you can review this documentation: Deployment guide for OneNote
How can I access the content captured for all channels in Notes tab?
All members in a team will be able to access the content captured in Notes tab across all standard channels within that team by clicking on the Show navigation icon on left.
How can I add back Notes tab to a channel if it is accidentally removed?
Please note that Notes tab by default is only supported in standard channels at the moment. If your standard channel used to have a Notes tab, you can add it back.
- In Teams, go to the channel you want to add the Notes tab again.
- In the tabs bar across the top, select Add a tab. The Add a tab window will open.
- Select the OneNote tile. The OneNote window will open.
- Select the “Default team notebook” for your team, then select Save.
- A tab with the team notebook name will be added in the tabs bar across the top. Right-click the tab to rename it to “Notes”.
- Go to the Notes tab and select the show navigation icon. Create a new section in this notebook and give it the same name as the Teams channel.
- In the section, create a page, name it, and start taking notes.
Note: Having a dedicated section for each channel will help avoid confusion for others who access the notebook.
Why is Teams retiring wiki?
Please read the details on Wiki retirement here.
- OneNote notes only display in Default (Light) and High contrast mode.
Message ID: MC552334