Microsoft Purview Information Protection: Sensitivity labels now apply to modified documents (WXP on PC and Mac)
Coming soon to public preview, default labeling policies can be applied to any supported document that a user edits, not just a new document. This update applies to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents on PC and Mac platforms.
This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 93209.
When this will happen:
Rollout to public preview will begin in mid-June and is expected to be complete by late June.
How this will affect your organization:
If you’ve configured users for a default sensitivity label policy for Office documents, the label you chose will automatically be applied to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents that users create or modify. Previously, this only applied to new documents only.
Note: This functionality is now generally available for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents on the Web (MC305436), and with this update will extend to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on PC and Mac.
What you need to do to prepare:
View sensitivity labels and their policies and settings in the Microsoft Purview compliance portal:
- Microsoft Purview compliance portal for WW and GCC cloud environments
- Microsoft Purview compliance portal for GCC-High cloud environments
- Microsoft Purview compliance portal for DoD cloud environments
- Get started with sensitivity labels
- Learn about the default labels and policies to protect your data
Message ID: MC393822