SharePoint Add-In retirement in Microsoft 365
Since the release of SharePoint Add-Ins in 2013, Microsoft has evolved SharePoint extensibility using SharePoint Framework (SPFx) enabling you to write applications that can be used in Microsoft SharePoint, Viva Connections and Microsoft Teams. With our continued investment in SharePoint Framework, Microsoft is retiring SharePoint Add-Ins.
- Major: Retirement
- Starting July 1st, 2024, SharePoint Add-Ins cannot be installed from the public marketplace, also referred to as store by existing tenants. Installation from a private tenant catalog stays possible.
- Starting November 1st, 2024, new tenants will not be able use SharePoint Add-Ins, regardless of their origin (public marketplace, private tenant catalog).
- Starting April 2nd, 2026, Microsoft will remove the ability use SharePoint Add-Ins for existing tenants.
- Action: Review and assess impact
How this will affect your organization
If your organization still uses SharePoint Add-Ins, they will no longer function after April 2nd, 2026. We recommend customers to port their customizations to SharePoint Framework (SPFx) and ask their solution vendors for updated solutions.
What you need to do to prepare
You will want to notify your Add-In users and developers. Update your user training and prepare your help desk.
- Use the Microsoft 365 Assessment tool to scan your tenants for SharePoint Add-In usage.
- Review the guidance for migrating from SharePoint Add-Ins to SharePoint Framework.
- There will not be an option to extend SharePoint Add-Ins beyond April 2nd 2026.
- Support update for the retirement of SharePoint Add-Ins in Microsoft 365.
Message ID: MC693865